4-6 tablespoon olive oil divided
2 pounds boneless chuck roast
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup beef stock or broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
1/2 large sweet onion diced
5 cloves garlic minced
For the empanadas:
· 4 pods Pappy’s brand Pie Crust Dough (1 package) - thawed but still chilled
· 2 small cans of Diced Green Chiles (I prefer Hatch NM Chile)
1 - 2 cups Shredded Mexican cheese of your choice. I prefer Chihuahua with Jalapeño
1. Combine the spices in a small bowl. Rub into the beef covering all the nooks and crannies and each side.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1-2 Tbs. olive oil. Sear the meat on all sides. Remove and place in a slow cooker.
3. With the remaining over the heat, deglaze with the beef stock and scrape up any brown bits. Whisk in the tomato paste and chipotle peppers. Once sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick.
4. Meanwhile, add onion and garlic on top of beef in the slow cooker. Pour the reduced sauce over the top.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs. Once the meat is fork tender, remove and shred with two forks. Pour a portion of the sauce, including the onions, over the shredded meat and let soak to enhance flavor.
6. Combine (2) Pappy’s dough pods and roll out to a 14” circle.
7. Using a 4”-5” wide glass or small bowl as a pastry cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Continue to incorporate unused dough into the next pods as necessary.
8. In the cut out circles, place portions of the beef, Mexican cheese and diced green chilies leaving about a ½” edge to fold the dough over and seal. Slice in small steam vents. Makes 24.
9. Freeze to bake later or Bake in a 425° F preheated oven until golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.
10. Pappy’s Pie Crust Dough also fries up nicely. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 350° F. on a deep fry thermometer. Cook in batches flipping once, 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.