This pot pie recipe can be filed under “Comfort Food!” – a classic combination of carrots, potatoes, peas and onions with chunks of chicken make this a go-to recipe for many generations of Pappy’s Pie Dough fans! You can either make this as one larger casserole, or 4 individual pot pies. Make sure to vent the crust to ensure the steam escapes – that helps produce a crispy crust and prevents “seepage” of the filling all over your oven floor!
· 2 pods Pappy's Pie Dough thawed but still chilled
· 1 pound chicken breast skinless and boneless
· 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
· 3 medium potatoes Peeled and diced
· 3 cups carrots peeled and diced
· 1 package (9 oz) frozen peas and pearl onions
· 2 Tablespoon Corn Starch
1. Ensure your Pappy's Pie Dough pods are thawed but still chilled.
2. Simmer Chicken breasts in broth until meat is fork tender.
3. Remove chicken and add carrots and potatoes, cook over low heat until tender.
4. Chop chicken breasts into bite size pieces and add bath to broth, carrot and potato mixture.
5. Add peas and pearl onions.
6. Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water and add to broth mixture.
7. If needed, Adjust thickness of broth with additional water, as the mixture will thicken slightly in the baking process. Transfer mixture to a casserole (or 4 individual serving pie dishes).
8. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stack the two pods of Pappy's Pie Dough and pie dough Roll out Pappy's Pie Dough large enough to cover the casserole dish, (or individual serving pie dishes).
9. Lay the dough over the top of the casserole, and fit just INSIDE the rim. Fold edges under and crimp. Slit crust with steam vents.
10. Bake in 425 oven on bottom oven rack for approximately 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
11. This recipe may be prepared ahead of time and frozen for later baking.