Updated: Apr 2, 2019
There’s nothing quite like a summer afternoon with a slice of blueberry pie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream! No matter when you make this recipe, you’ll be sure to get rave reviews. You can form this lattice pie top the easy way, with the opposing strips simply atop one another, or you can actually weave the pieces if you feel comfortable!
This recipe is a variation on a classic! With a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, the additional spice cuts the sweetness a bit and adds a special touch. Please note - this recipe makes a 9" Deep dish pie - make sure that you use three pods as to get enough dough for the deep dish.
2 pods Pappy's Pie Dough thawed but still chilled
2 cups fresh blueberries (You could substitute blackberries or raspberries in this recipe)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon Lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk or cream for brushing on crust
1 tsp sugar for sprinkling on crust
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place a baking sheet on the rack where the pie will be baked (to catch any of the filling that may overflow during cooking). Assemble ingredients.
2.Ensure your Pappy’s Pie Dough Crusts are thawed, but still chilled. Roll out on floured surface to about 12” in diameter and ¼” thick.
Place bottom crust in 9" Deep Dish pie pan with crust overlapping the side.
3. In large bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch. Cinnamon and nutmeg. Add blueberries and stir. Let sit 30 minutes to allow for berries to soften and get the juices flowing
4. While the berries are "resting" you can decide on whether you want to cover with.a full crust and vent, or try a lattice decoration. Once the berries have rested, spoon them in to the pie tin with the lower crust in place.
5. If you want to try Lattice, cut the top crust into 12 strips and start with 6 strips, lying parallel to each other - quite close together. turn the pie one-quarter turn and then lie the next six strips across. If you want to weave the lattice, go for it!
6. Brush the milk or cream over top crust. Sprinkle crust with 2 teaspoons sugar. Cover crust edge with strips of foil or pie crust shield to prevent excessive browning.
7. Transfer pie dish to freezer and chill 10 minutes. Transfer pie dish to a preheated baking sheet (to catch the inevitable flow over of filling) and bake the pie for 5 minutes in the 425-degree oven. then reduce the temperature to 375. Continue to bake at the lowered temp for another 60-75 minutes, and if the topping browns too quickly, tent it with foil. Make sure the juice is bubbling at a good clip. this is when the thickening happens.
8. Cool 2 hours before serving. Serve with ice cream or whipped creamServe with whipped cream, ice cream, or vanilla cream.