There’s nothing quite like a slice of Fresh Peach Pie with a scoop of rich vanilla ice cream, is there? We’ve been making this peach pie every summer – when peaches are at their peak, and abundant in local stores. We love using Colorado peaches when we can get them.
Your friends and families will love this late summer delight as the perfect finish for your Sunday Dinner or family reunion!
Fresh Peach Pie
· 2 pods Pappy's Pie Dough Thawed, but still chilled
· 1/2 cup granulated sugar
· 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
· 4-5 cups peaches peeled and sliced
· 3 tablespoons Corn Starch
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg ground
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ground
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 1 tablespoon butter
1. Combine peaches, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl - cover and let stand for an hour to draw out the juices of the fruit.
2. Ensure your Pappy's Pie Dough is thawed. Roll out one pod of Pappy's for the bottom of the 9" pie pan, with enough with to overlap the pan edge by about an inch. Place the dough in the pan. Roll out the top crust and reserve. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Drain and reserve the juice from the peach and sugar mixture. Combine the juice, cornstarch, salt and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir for two minutes until the mixture has thickened. Monitor heat to make sure it doesn't scorch. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in Lemon juice and butter.
4. Add peaches to the filling mixture and mix until combined - pour into prepared pie crust. Place rolled out top crust on top of peaches.
5. Seal and Crimp Edges. Cut vents in top of pie, and sprinkle sugar on top for an extra sweet taste. We use large crystal sanding sugar.
6. We recommend also using a crust shield to make sure your pie edges don't over brown. Bake in 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.
7. Let cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice-cream, or whipped cream.