This sweet and tangy tart is a great accompaniment to any harvest dinner table, and quite perfect for a Thanksgiving feast! Loaded with brown sugar and cinnamon, the caramel sweetness offsets the tartness of the apples and cranberries.
A sweet and tangy blend with just the right amount of cinnamon and nutmeg. This tart is good throughout the year, but particularly appropriate when apples and cranberries are in season. We used two pods of dough to make sure we had a crust that would stand up to being removed from the tart pan.
· 2 pods Pappy's Pie Dough Thawed but still chilled
· 3 medium Granny Smith Apples Peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
· 2 cups fresh cranberries Coarsely Chopped
· 1 cup brown sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
· 2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1. Assemble ingredients and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Roll out dough. We used two pods to make sure there was sufficient coverage for the 9" tart pan, as well as enough to add some decorative cut-outs on top.
3. Fold dough over and place in tart pan. Tuck dough evenly and press in corners.
4. Trim dough hanging over the pan to form a crisp edge.
5. Combine chopped cranberries and chopped apples in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine
6. Add Apple and cranberry mixture to pan and spread evenly. press it in the pan a bit to make sure you don't have any airpockets.
7. Dot with butter evenly across the filling.
8. Roll and cut remaining Pappy's Pie dough into decorative shapes, if desired. Place on top of tart.
9. Place on a baking sheet in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake for 35 minutes until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Remove and cool on wire rack.
10. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.